Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide Harbor Assist towing within the consolidated port of Lorain/Huron/Sandusky/Cleveland/ Ashtabula/Conneaut/Erie/Fairport;
- Familiarization with the Federal Requirements governing the operation of Towing Vessels, 46 CFR Subchapter M;
- Familiarization with the Company’s Policies and Procedures, including the Company’s Responsible Carrier Program Manual;
- Maintain and analyze the Company’s Engine Room Logs–Comments Section and Engine Hours Reports; periodically reviewing any outstanding maintenance items with the Engineer to ensure that the tugs are maintained and repaired to a seaworthy and safe condition;
- Travel, as needed, to the Company’s tug docks located throughout the Great Lakes system to perform towing assignments (both harbor towing and cross lake towing). Travel may involve stays away from home residence;
- Assist with preparation of quotes for Outside Tows to meet customer demands;
- Ensure vessels are crewed, operated, and maintained in accordance with regulatory requirements, company standards, and customer expectations;
- Implement standard procedures and guidelines for the operation of a safe and environmentally sound ship;
- Ensure all vessel personnel comply with regulatory training requirements;
- Investigate vessel damage and personal injuries;
- Inspect vessels to ensure seaworthy condition and arrange for maintenance and repair activities to correct any deficiencies;
Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to deal with others using courtesy, tact, and good judgment;
- Must have strong communication and leadership skills;
- Must be able to work independently with minimal or no guidance;
- Must be very familiar with tug operations and repair and maintenance of marine equipment.
Job Conditions and Environment
- Must be able to work independently and without direct supervision;
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, heat, wind, heavy seas, etc.);
- Must be able to adapt to a variety of scheduled and hours;
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and at night on short notice.
Education and Training
- Must have a valid USCG Master of Towing Vessel License upon Great, Inland Waters and Western Rivers or Master 500 GT unlimited license;
- Must have a valid Transportation Workers Identification Credential;
- Must have a Marine Radio Operator Permit;
- Must have a valid CPR and FA card;
- Must have a valid Drivers License.
Upload cover letter and resume with salary requirements here:
Apply by Mail
Submit cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
The Great Lakes Towing Company
4500 Division Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44102
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short and long-term disability insurance, 401(k) profit sharing plan, vacation time, sick time, and company paid holidays.
Candidates must be able to pass background check and have E-verify authorization.
The Great Lakes Group is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; M/F/V/D.