Responsible for effective implementation, improvement and management of all shipyard Safety and Environmental programs, policies and procedures.
Position Requirements Duties & Responsibilities
Safety and Environment
- Reviews current policies and develops new procedures to improve safety standards;
- Maintains key metrics, including certifications, and permitting, and general inventory of key shipyard equipment;
- Documents a formal Health & Safety (H&S) annual plan to capture initiatives, summary training plans, reporting and KPIs to be achieved;
- Ensures all activities conform to H&S regulations and legislation. A working knowledge of EPA and OSHA Regulations and shipyard and construction CFRs is required;
- For safety incidents, ensures investigations take place and provides input and advice as required, documents findings and recommendations;
- Maintains library of applicable quality, H&S rules and regulations, including all training certificates and welders’ qualification certifications;
- Enforces all Company policies regarding personal protective equipment (PPE), as required by OSHA and as stipulated in the Company’s Responsible Carrier Program Manual;
- Provides guidance and support for personnel hiring initiatives, including employee performance, growth, training and retention and other human resource initiatives;
- Conducts weekly “Tool Box” Safety training and conducts safety orientations;
- Conducts environmental inspections and lead environmental trainings.
- Sets the tone and vision for H&S for the shipyard;
Knowledge, Education, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office and other project management software is required.
- Completion of four years of college level course work equivalent to a B.S. in related field and experience in a manufacturing environment combined with supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which results in the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Marine experience is desirable.
Minimum Work Environment Requirements
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to current or daily job duties
- Be fit for a respirator
- Carry up to 50 pounds
- Constantly climb stairs and ladders on daily basis
- Bend, twist, kneel and reach constantly
- Endure noise, fumes, dust and inclement weather
- Any additional duties as required by management.
- The first ninety (90) days of employment will be an introductory period including on-the-job training. Successful completion of the introductory period is required for continued “at-will” employment.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short-term and long-term insurance, 401(k) profit sharing plan, vacation time, sick time and company paid holidays.
Upload cover letter and resume with salary requirements here:
Apply by Mail
Submit cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
The Great Lakes Towing Company
4500 Division Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44102
Candidates must be able to pass background check and have E-verify authorization.
The Great Lakes Group is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; M/F/V/D.