Position Requirements Duties & Responsibilities
• Responsible for successful direction, coordination, planning, estimating, scheduling, and execution of assigned vessel overhaul, repair and modification solicitations, bids, estimates, proposals and contracts, including the safe and effective execution of all projects and programs on time, within budget, and in a high-quality manner.
• Use of prior experience and expertise in the ship repair industry to oversee production, purchasing, and engineering tasks for assigned projects.
• Responsibility for all facets of project oversight, including development of estimates and proposals, progress monitoring and tracking, and budget adherence for all repair and modification projects, including government and commercial contracts, and such other projects as assigned.
• Coordination with the New Construction and Repair Managers, Engineering and the General Manager to assess, modify, and create improved shipyard production activities and administrative functions involving engineering, estimating, scheduling, logistics, safety, subcontractors, purchasing, material controls, invoicing, change orders and more; ensuring that all shipyard projects are safely and successfully completed in a cost effective manner, and in accordance with contract specifications.
• Participation in development of and establishing processes and sequences to be used for completing work and determining the best methods and procedures to produce most cost-effective results, without compromising safety or quality.
• Other duties include progress and quality monitoring, ensuring work complies with specification and client requirements and any other detail of shipyard overhaul, repair and modification projects and programs, including welding, machinery installation, electrical and auxiliary systems, outfitting, commissioning, sea trials and delivery.
• Oversight includes all assigned project personnel, budgets, schedules, purchasing, vendor tracking, labor hour forecasting, and invoicing.
• Additional responsibilities may include multiple and varied fabrication, production, and other engineering-related assignments, as opportunities arise and/or as directed. Assignments may require travel or supervision of work aboard vessels, however, the position is shoreside and based in Cleveland, Ohio.
• Must maintain a working knowledge of USCG Regulations and ABS Rules, and work with the USCG Inspectors, ABS Surveyors, Owner’s representatives, and others as required to meet all classification, quality and regulatory requirements.
• Must maintain proficiency with Microsoft Office software, project management systems, and AutoCad is required in addition to utilization of the Company’s job cost and purchasing software system after completion of training provided either in-house or by the Company’s software vendor if needed.
- Work is performed in both offices and customer facilities, shipyards and vessels.
- Must be able to access all areas of shipyard and company property including shipyard and shipyard offices, dry-docks and terminals in all types of weather conditions.
- Use of safety equipment, such as hard hat and safety glasses and steel toed shoes is required.
- Some overtime and on-call status is required and employee may be required to work more than normal 40 hour week, including weekends.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required of this position.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit/stand, walk, climb and kneel, use hands or fingers, handle and feel; talk, hear and see with close vision.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must have the ability to move easily between buildings, ascend/descend stairs and go outdoors in construction sites in all kinds of weather, and be able to climb ladders and over bulwarks for vessel site visits.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short-term and long-term insurance, 401(k) profit sharing plan, vacation time, sick time and company paid holidays.
Upload cover letter and resume with salary requirements here:
Apply by Mail
Submit cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
The Great Lakes Towing Company
4500 Division Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44102
Candidates must be able to pass background check and have E-verify authorization.
The Great Lakes Group is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; M/F/V/D.