The Ship Repair Superintendent (SRS) is responsible for successful execution of repair contracts, including direct oversite of the safe and effective completion of all repair projects and programs on time, within budget and in a high-quality manner. The Repair Superintendent will use his/her experience and expertise to identify and resolve any potential problems or concerns during vessel repair projects.
Position Requirements Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct all Repair Department production craft activities.
- Coordinate / Share resources with New Construction Department.
- Manage contract activities with customer, including change order development and approval with assistance from the Shipyard General Manager and Project Managers.
- Oversees all assigned project personnel, budgets, schedules, purchasing, vendor tracking, labor hour forecasting, and invoicing.
- Monitor and oversee the progress, ensuring work complies with specification and client requirements and that every aspect of the repair program, including welding, machinery installation, electrical, auxiliary systems, outfitting, commissioning, sea trials and delivery of any assigned vessels is safely completed in a quality manner within the delivery time required and within budget.
- Additional assignments may require travel or supervision of work aboard tugs or other vessels; however the position is primarily shoreside and based in Cleveland, Ohio.
- The SRS will have a working knowledge of ABS and USCG Rules and Regulation, work closely with ABS, Lloyds, DNV, BV Classification Societies and others as required to meet all quality and regulatory requirements.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office software is required in addition to utilization of the Company’s job cost and purchasing software system after completion of training provided either in-house or by the Company’s software vendor.
- Minimum 10 years in Ship Building/Repair Industry, with at least 5 years of supervisory experience. The SRS must have strong experience in shipyard/steel construction and excellent problem-solving skills and ability to manage competing priorities.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to current or daily job duties
- Be fit for a respirator
- Carry up to 50 pounds
- Constantly climb stairs and ladders on daily basis
- Bend, twist, kneel and reach constantly
- Endure noise, fumes, dust and inclement weather
- Any additional duties as required by management.
- The first ninety (90) days of employment will be an introductory period including on-the-job training. Successful completion of the introductory period is required for continued “at-will” employment.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short-term and long-term insurance, 401(k) profit sharing plan, vacation time, sick time and company paid holidays.
Upload cover letter and resume with salary requirements here:
Apply by Mail
Submit cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
The Great Lakes Towing Company
4500 Division Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44102
Candidates must be able to pass background check and have E-verify authorization.
The Great Lakes Group is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; M/F/V/D.