Position Requirements Duties & Responsibilities
- Operates and transports materials and parts using company vehicles, including trucks and forklifts in compliance with the company’s operating safety policies and procedures.
- Loads and unloads equipment from vehicles.
- Capable of securing work pieces and operating stops and guides for proper alignment
- Must perform routine maintenance of all equipment.
- Must perform all necessary quality checks during production and follow procedures when defective parts are discovered.
- Dismantles, repairs, or replaces defective parts, and reassembles machinery, using machinist’s tools, chain hoists, and steel rollers; Performs safe rigging, lifting and set of heavy equipment.
- Operates machinery, such as cargo winches and windlasses, to determine causes of malfunctioning;
- May be assigned miscellaneous tasks outside craft as needed.
- Communicates effectively with Engineering and Project Management and suppliers.
- Works with Coast Guard, ABS, and other regulatory bodies where required.
Knowledge, Education, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Preferred candidates will possess a high school diploma or GED, a minimum of 1 year of experience and general knowledge of worksite safety and machining operation.
- Must have a valid CDL license with a minimum of Class B status.
- Must be capable of extensive use of overhead cranes to move materials and parts as needed.
- Must have experience with a forklift and crane.
- Ability to read, interpret, and work from blueprints, job specifications, instruction manuals, manufacturer’s handbooks, change orders, and contract specifications.
- Must have knowledge of equipment, work processes and techniques necessary for job completion.
- Must be able to work independently, follow instructions, multi-task while maintaining a clean work area.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Must be dependable, trustworthy, possess a positive attitude, and be willing to work independently or in a team environment.
- Must possess a proven history of Safe Practices and Safety Awareness.
- Must comply with all Company safety rules.
Minimum Work Environment Requirements
- Wear assigned Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to job duties
- Be fit for a respirator.
- Carry up to 50 pounds.
- Repetitive climbing stairs and ladders on daily basis.
- Access confined spaces.
- Repetitive stooping, bending, twisting, kneeling, laying, crouching, reaching and crawling.
- Work outdoors year-round.
- Coordinate eye-hand movement.
- Use hands and fingers fully; reach for, manipulate and feel objects.
- Work overtime and weekends as needed to meet production demands.
- Any additional duties as required by management.
- The first ninety (90) days of employment will be an introductory period including on-the-job training. Successful completion of the introductory period is required for continued “at-will” employment.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short-term and long-term insurance, 401(k) profit sharing plan, vacation time, sick time and company paid holidays.
Upload cover letter and resume with salary requirements here:
Apply by Mail
Submit cover letter and resume with salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
The Great Lakes Towing Company
4500 Division Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44102
Candidates must be able to pass background check and have E-verify authorization.
The Great Lakes Group is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; M/F/V/D.