The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)‘s Research Vessel KIYI is at Great Lakes Shipyard for a major repower and repair contract. Work includes:
- Drydock, pressure wash hull, hull inspections
- Paint underwater hull, topside, decks, and superstructure
- ABS load line survey
- Ground tackle inspection and preservation
- Inspect rudders propellers, and propulsion shaft
- Repower engines
- Replace HVAC
- Replace trawl winches
- Install new small boat
- Replace misc wet lab items
- Replace pilothouse windows and wipers
- Misc electrical upgrades and modification
The vessel was hauled out and drydocked a few weeks ago. Work began on some of the smaller work items, and systems have been disassembled in preparation for the repower.
As the cold weather approaches, the vessel was moved in to the yard’s fabrication building where the remainder of work will be performed.