Why Support the Port of Cleveland?
- Jobs for Northeast Ohio
- The Port of Cleveland supports nearly 18,000 jobs
- The Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority has also connected billions of dollars of indispensable private capital with important development projects in our county that have involved more than 16,000 jobs
- Economic Success for Our Region
- $1.8 billion in economic activity
- More than $100 million in state and local government revenue depend on cargo transportation through Cleveland Harbor
- Support for Our Local Companies
- The Port brings in materials at low costs
- Helps local companies like Ford Motor Company and Lincoln Electric be more competitive against overseas industries
How You Can Help
Toward the end of this year’s ballot, you will find a renewal for the Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority, the smallest countywide property tax that we pay in Cuyahoga County.
Renewing the current Port Authority levy simply allows the current tax to continue and will not raise taxes. The tax rate will stay the same as it’s been since 1968: 0.13 mills, the lowest rate of any countywide issue. But renewing the Port Authority levy will allow the Port to continue to have an enormous impact fostering economic vitality throughout our county.
Remember to support our ports and vote “Yes” on the Port Authority renewal levy that will be on the 2013 General Election ballot this fall. Also, show your support on social media and follow Keep Our Port Strong on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.
It won’t increase taxes. It will protect our economy.
A Great Return on Investment
For every $1 taxpayers put into it through its levy, the Port Authority supports $562 of economic activity, which is a return of more than 56,000 percent. Without a renewal, however, the current Port levy will expire at the end of the year. Losing the proceeds from the levy will harm the Port’s programs and the Port will not be able to continue to operate and support maritime and economic activities in the way it does now.
Supporters of Our Port
Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson, County Executive Ed Fitzgerald, and business and labor leaders support the Port renewal because of its low cost and huge economic impact. Read the Cleveland.com article “Vote ‘FOR’ the Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority tax renewal” written by Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson and County County Executive Ed Fitzgerald to hear their thoughts. In addition to government supporters, several corporations such as Huntington Bank and The Great Lakes Group are backing the cause.
Remember to look for the Port levy on our ballots and make sure we vote “FOR” the Port renewal. It won’t raise your taxes. But it will KEEP OUR PORT – and our economy – STRONG.