In October, WorkBoat named its 10 Significant Boats of 2017. This year’s list was dominated by tugs — five of them were selected, including The Great Lakes Towing Company Tug CLEVELAND. The Great Lakes Towing Company’s Shipyard, known as Great Lakes Shipyard, proudly launched the Tug CLEVELAND at The Company’s headquarters on May 25, 2017 and the Shipyard delivered the tugboat to The Towing Company on June 30, 2017.
Tug CLEVELAND is the first Damen tug to be built under license in the U.S. The Towing Company selected the Stan Tug 1907 ICE design based on Damen’s reputation for quality and fact-finding visits made by the management of Great Lakes Towing to Damen in the Netherlands. In addition to the stout scantlings necessary for operations in ice, the tugs specifications include:
- Length: 63’05”
- Beam: 24’02”
- Depth (Amidships): 11’01”
- Design Draft: 10’00”
- Displacement: 165 long tons (Operational Lightship)
- Tonnage: Less than 100 GRT
- Main Engines: Two (2) x MTU 8V4000 M54R (1,000 HP each @ 1600 RPM)
- Propellers: Twin Screw – Three Bladed, 71” Diameter, Kaplan Style in Kort Nozzles
- Reduction Gears: Twin Disc MG5321 Quick Shift, Ratio: 5.45:1
Featured in Photo: The Great Lakes Towing Company & Great Lakes Shipyard with Damen and friends at NBA Pelicans basketball game in New Orleans, Louisiana during the 2017 WorkBoat Show.