New Construction Superintendent
The Great Lakes Towing Company/Great Lakes Shipyard is seeking a New Construction Superintendent for its Shipyard located in Cleveland, Ohio. This position is an excellent career opportunity for someone with marine steel or vessel construction management experience.
The New Construction Superintendent (NCS) is responsible for successful execution of new construction (NC) projects, including direct oversite of the safe and effective completion of all NC projects and programs on time, within budget and in a high-quality manner. The NCS will use his/her experience and expertise to identify and resolve any potential problems or concerns during vessel construction projects.
- Direct all NC Department production craft activities.
- Coordinate / Share resources with Repair Department.
- Manage contract activities with customer, including change order development and approval with assistance from the Shipyard General Manager and Project Managers.
- Oversees all assigned project personnel, budgets, schedules, purchasing, vendor tracking, labor hour forecasting, and invoicing.
- Monitor and oversee the progress, ensuring work complies with specification and client requirements and that every aspect of the NC program, including welding, machinery installation, electrical, auxiliary systems, outfitting, commissioning, sea trials and delivery of any assigned vessels is safely completed in a quality manner within the delivery time required and within budget.
- Additional assignments may require travel or supervision of work aboard tugs or other vessels; however the position is primarily shoreside and based in Cleveland, Ohio.
- The NCS will have a working knowledge of ABS and USCG Rules and Regulation, work closely with ABS, Lloyds, DNV, BV Classification Societies and others as required to meet all quality and regulatory requirements.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office software is required in addition to utilization of the Company’s job cost and purchasing software system after completion of training provided either in-house or by the Company’s software vendor.
- Minimum 10 years in Ship Building/Repair Industry, with at least 5 years of supervisory experience. The NCS must have strong experience in shipyard/steel construction and excellent problem-solving skills and ability to manage competing priorities.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to current or daily job duties
- Be fit for a respirator
- Carry up to 50 pounds
- Constantly climb stairs and ladders on daily basis
- Bend, twist, kneel and reach constantly
- Endure noise, fumes, dust and inclement weather
The first ninety (90) days of employment will be an introductory period including on-the-job training. Successful completion of the introductory period is required for continued “at-will” employment.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short-term and long-term insurance, 401(k) profit sharing plan, vacation time, sick time and company paid holidays.
How to Apply
Submit your application online or print and email or mail in by visiting our Careers page.