Great Lakes Shipyard located at 4500 Division Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio is currently seeking Shipyard Laborers for its Fleet Department. We operate a full-service shipyard specializing in all types of marine construction and repairs for vessels, tugs, supply boats, ferries, barges excursion vessels, dinner boats, research vessels, large yachts, and off-site topside work of every kind.
Essential Job Duties
Candidates must have the ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to the safety or health of employee or others.
- Assists mechanics with repairs on vessels
- Loads vehicles, using handtruck or dolly
- Opens shipping crates, using hammer and pinchbar
- Sorts lumber, metals, and other scrap materials
- Mixes and pours cement on inner bottoms of ships and around joints on decks to prepare surfaces for tile or to make joints watertight
- Removes paint and scale from ships’ metal surfaces, using hand or powered wire brushes
- Conveys materials and tools to work site
- Washes trucks and other vehicles
- Cleans ships, piers, drydocks, and other working areas, using a broom and water hose
- Local travel using company vehicles
Minimum Work Environment Requirements:
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate to current or daily job duties
- Be fit for a respirator
- Carry up to 50 pounds
- Repetitive climbing stairs and ladders
- Repetitive bending, twisting, kneeling, and reaching
- Exposure to loud noise daily
- Access confined spaces
- Work outdoors year-round
- Work overtime and weekends as needed to meet production demands
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability insurance, an employee assistance program, 401(k) profit-sharing plan, vacation time, sick time, and company paid holidays.
The Great Lakes Towing Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics with respect to employment opportunities.